Five Facts About Artificial Grass You Probably Didn't Know
Artificial grass has become increasingly popular in recent years, offering a low-maintenance and visually appealing alternative to natural grass. However, there are some fascinating facts about artificial grass that many people are unaware of. In this blog post, we will explore five intriguing facts about artificial grass that may surprise you.
1. Artificial grass has been around for over 50 years
While artificial grass has gained popularity in recent years, it was actually invented back in the 1960s. It was initially used in sports fields and stadiums but has since found its way into residential and commercial landscaping.
2. It's environmentally friendly
Artificial grass has several eco-friendly benefits. First, it eliminates the need for watering, reducing water consumption. Second, it doesn't require pesticides or fertilizers, which can be harmful to the environment. Lastly, it reduces carbon emissions by eliminating the need for lawn mowers.
3. It's not just for lawns
Artificial grass can be used in various creative ways beyond traditional lawns. It can be used to create rooftop gardens, indoor landscaping, playground surfaces, and even golf putting greens. The versatility of artificial grass allows for imaginative designs and applications.
4. Low maintenance, high durability
One of the main advantages of artificial grass is its low maintenance requirements. Unlike natural grass, it doesn't need mowing, watering, or weeding. Additionally, it is designed to withstand heavy foot traffic and can last for 15 to 20 years, depending on the quality and usage.
5. Artificial grass is constantly evolving
The technology behind artificial grass continues to advance. Today, you can find different varieties that mimic the look and feel of real grass more accurately. New materials and manufacturing techniques result in improved drainage, better UV resistance, and increased softness.
AKN Home Improvement Ltd: Artificial Grass Installation Experts
When it comes to artificial grass installation, it's recommended to hire a professional to ensure a proper and long-lasting installation. Here are a few key steps involved in the installation process:
● Site preparation: The area where the artificial grass will be installed needs to be cleared of existing vegetation, rocks, and debris. The ground may need to be levelled and compacted to provide a stable base.
● Installing the base: A layer of crushed stone or decomposed granite is usually laid as a base for the artificial grass. This provides stability and proper drainage.
● Laying the artificial grass: The rolls of artificial grass are carefully laid out and trimmed to fit the desired area. The seams between the rolls are joined using adhesive or specialized joining tape.
● Adding infill (optional): Depending on the type of artificial grass, an infill material such as silica sand or rubber granules may be added to improve stability and provide a more natural feel.
● Brushing and grooming: Once the grass is installed, it is brushed or raked to ensure the fibres stand upright and look natural. Any excess infill is also evenly distributed.
It's important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and consult with professionals for specific installation instructions, as the process can vary based on the type and brand of artificial grass being used.